Of all the unexplained mysteries I have come across there is one that has for me left the most indelible impression. As far as mysteries go you couldn’t invent a better story. A story that has over time led to some of the most extraordinary of speculations and has since evolved a folklore all of its own.
This is that story.
Featuring the mystery of the Eilean Mòr Lighthouse Keepers
Research, writing, music and production by Richard MacLean Smith.
Some interesting links:
(See transcript for full list of sources)
1. Dash, M. (1998), The Vanishing Lighthousemen of Eilean Mòr, Fortean Studies 4, http://www.mikedash.com/assets/files/Vanishing%20Lighthousemen.pdf
2. Flannan Isles Wikiepdia entry, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles
3. The Unexaplained Files (2014), S02E04, Science, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VXSIVR-cQk
4. Collin, D. R. (2010), The Ross Island Lighthouse Murder , Kirkcudbright.com, http://www.kirkcudbright.com/dynamic.asp?ID=66
5. Original wreck report for the SS Archtor, http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/17924.asp?view=text
6. The report submitted by Robert Muirhead, Superintendent, on the 8th January 1901: https://www.nlb.org.uk/HistoricalInformation/FlannanIsles/Report-by-Superintendent/
7. The Draupner Wave Wikipedia entry, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draupner_wave